The Sermon on the Mount
(Mathew 5 - 1:12)
- Jesus saw the crowds and went up a hill, where he sat down. His disciples gathered round him,
- and he began to teach them:
- "Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor; the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them!
- Happy are those who mourn; God will confort them!
- Happy are those who are humble; they will receive what God has promised!
- Happy are those whose greatest desire is to do what God requires; God will satisfy them fully!
- Happy are those who are merciful to others; God will be merciful to them!
- Happy are pure in heart; they will see God!
- Happy are those who work for peace; God will call them his childrem!
- Happy are those who are persecuted because they do what God requires; the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them!
- Happy are you when people insult you and persecute you and tell all kinds of evil lies against you because you are my followers.
- Be happy and glad, for a great reward is kept for you in heaven. This is how the prophets who lived before you were persecuted.
(New Testament - Good News Edition - Today's English Version - The Bible Society)